Notice of Privacy Practices
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Privacy Commitment of Your Protected Health Information (“PHI”)
PHI is information about you that may be used to identify you (for example, your name, social security number or address), and that relates to (a) your past, present or future physical or mental health or condition, (b) the provision of healthcare to you, or (c) your past, present, or future payment for the provision of healthcare. This Notice of Privacy Practices describes how HelpMD may use and disclose your PHI in accordance with applicable law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) and the rules and regulations promulgated under HIPAA as well as describing your rights regarding how you may gain access to and control your PHI.
HelpMD is required by law to maintain the privacy of your PHI and is hereby providing you with this Notice of Privacy Practices with respect to PHI and reserves the right to change the terms of this Notice of Privacy Practices at any time as long as the changes are in compliance with applicable law. Any new Notice of Privacy Practices will be effective for all PHI that we maintain at that time. HelpMD will provide you with a copy of the revised Notice of Privacy Practices by posting a copy at www.helpmd.com and will make the revised Notice of Privacy Practices available upon request.
I. Uses and Disclosures of PHI
The ways HelpMD may use and disclose PHI about you:
- Treatment, Payment and Healthcare Operations. HelpMD is permitted to use and disclose your PHI for purposes of (a) treatment, (b) payment and (c) healthcare operations. For example:
- Treatment. Your PHI may be used and disclosed without authorization by those who are involved in your care for the purpose of providing, coordinating, or managing your health care treatment and related services. This includes consultation with other treatment team members or in connection with the provision of follow-up treatment.
- Payment. HelpMD may use and disclose PHI without authorization so that we can receive payment for the treatment services provided to you. Payment related activities include the determination of service membership eligibility, processing claims, reviewing services provided to you to determine medical necessity, or in utilization review activities.
- Healthcare Operations. HelpMD may use and disclose your PHI in connection with its healthcare operations, such as providing customer service and conducting quality review assessments. HelpMD may engage third parties to provide various services. If any such third party must have access to your PHI in order to perform its services, HelpMD will require that third party to enter an agreement that binds the third party to the use and disclosure restrictions outlined in this Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Authorization. HelpMD is permitted to use and disclose your PHI upon your written authorization, to the extent such use or disclosure is consistent with your authorization. You may revoke any such authorization at any time.
- As Required by Law. HelpMD may use and disclose your PHI to the extent required by law.
II. Disclosing PHI for Unique Circumstances
The following categories describe various unique circumstances in which HelpMD may use or disclose your PHI:
- Public Health and Threat to Health or Safety. If required, HelpMD may use or disclose your PHI for mandatory public health activities to a public health authority authorized by law to collect or receive such information for the purpose of preventing or controlling disease, injury, or disability, or if directed by a public health authority, to a government agency that is collaborating with that public health authority. HelpMD may disclose your PHI if necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent health to the health or safety of a person or the public. If information is disclosed to prevent or lessen a serious threat it will be disclosed to a person(s) reasonably able to prevent or lessen the threat, including the target of the threat.
- Specialized Government Functions. HelpMD, may in certain situations, use and disclose PHI of persons who are, or were, in the Armed Forces for purposes such as ensuring proper execution of a military mission or determining entitlement to benefits. HelpMD may also disclose PHI to federal officials for intelligence and national security purposes.
- Health Oversight Activities. HelpMD may disclose your PHI to a health oversight agency for authorized activities such as audits, investigations, inspections, licensing and disciplinary actions relating to the healthcare system or government benefit programs
- Judicial and Administrative Proceedings. HelpMD may disclose your PHI, in certain circumstances, as permitted by applicable law, in response to an order from a court or administrative agency, or in response to a subpoena or discovery request.
- Law Enforcement. HelpMD may, under certain circumstances, disclose your PHI to a law enforcement official, such as for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person.
- Workers’ Compensation. HelpMD may disclose your PHI as authorized by, and to the extent necessary to comply with, workers’ compensation programs and other similar programs relating to work-related illnesses or injuries.
- Decedents. HelpMD may, under certain circumstances, disclose PHI to coroners, medical examiners and funeral directors for purposes such as identification, determining the cause of death and fulfilling duties relating to decedents.
- Organ Procurement. HelpMD may, under certain circumstances, use or disclose PHI for the purposes of organ donation and transplantation.
- Research. HelpMD may, under certain circumstances, use or disclose PHI that is necessary for research purposes.
- Medical Emergencies. HelpMD may, under certain circumstances, use or disclose your PHI in a medical emergency situation to medical personnel in order to prevent serious harm.
III. YOUR PHI AND YOUR RIGHTS
You have the following rights regarding the PHI maintained by HelpMD: To exercise any of these rights, please submit your request in writing to the HelpMD Privacy Officer at 6401 Eldorado Parkway, Suite 232, McKinney, TX 75070.
- Confidential Communication. You have the right to request that HelpMD communicate with you about health matters in a certain way or at a certain location. We will accommodate reasonable requests. HelpMD may require information regarding how payment will be handled or specification of an alternative address or other method of contact as a condition for accommodating your request.
- Restrictions. You have the right to request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of PHI for treatment, payment or healthcare operations. You also have the right to request that HelpMD restrict its disclosures of PHI to only certain individuals involved in your care or the payment of your care. You must submit your request in writing to HelpMD. HelpMD is not required to comply with your request. However, if HelpMD agrees to comply with your request, it will be bound by such agreement, except when otherwise required by law or in the event of an emergency.
- Inspection and Copies. You have the right to inspect and copy your PHI. You must submit your request in writing to HelpMD. HelpMD may impose a fee for the costs of copying, mailing, labor and supplies associated with your request. In certain limited circumstances, HelpMD may deny your request to inspect and/or copy your PHI. If that occurs, we will inform you of the reason for the denial, and you may request a review of the denial.
- Amendment. You have a right to request that HelpMD amend your PHI if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and you may request an amendment for as long as the information is maintained by HelpMD. You must submit your request in writing to HelpMD and provide a reason to support the requested amendment. HelpMD may, under certain circumstances, deny your request by sending you a written notice of denial. If HelpMD denies your request, you will be permitted to submit a statement of disagreement for inclusion in your records.
- Accounting of Disclosures. You have the right to request an accounting of certain of the disclosures that HelpMD makes of your PHI. HelpMD may charge you a reasonable fee if you request more than one accounting in any 12-month period.
- Breach Notification. If there is a breach of unsecured PHI concerning you, we may be required to notify you of this breach, including what happened and what you can do to protect yourself.
- Paper Copy. You have the right to obtain a paper copy of this Notice from HelpMD at any time upon request. To obtain a paper copy of this notice, please contact HelpMD at 1-844-MyMD247.
- Complaint. You may complain to HelpMD and to the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services if you believe that your privacy rights have been violated. To file a complaint with HelpMD, you must submit a statement in writing to HelpMD: Attn: Privacy Officer, 6401 Eldorado Parkway, Suite 232, McKinney, TX 75070. We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
- Further Information. If you would like more information about your privacy rights, please contact HelpMD. To the extent you are required to send a written request to HelpMD to exercise any right described in this Notice, you must submit your request to HelpMD at: Attn: Privacy Officer, 6401 Eldorado Parkway Suite 232, McKinney, TX 75070.
IV. Non-Health Information
- How We Use And Share Non-Health Information
- Service Processing. The Non-Health Information is used to process requests, to provide services, and to develop new services.
- Marketing, Promotion, and Market Research. The Non-Health Information may be used by HelpMD or its agents to personalize your experience, improve the HelpMD website, or improve customer service. The Non-Health Information may also be used to market and promote the services of HelpMD and its affiliated companies, and to conduct market research. This means you may be contacted by telephone, direct mail or e-mail regarding products and services offered by HelpMD, its affiliated companies or third parties.
- Cookies. We may occasionally use alphanumeric identifiers ("cookies") which would be transferred to your computer's hard drive through your web browser to enable our system to recognize your web browser when you return to this website and to monitor traffic patterns. You may modify your web browser to prevent it from accepting new cookies, to notify you when a cookie is received, or to disable cookies entirely. In the event you disable cookies, however, it may prevent you from utilizing certain features of this website.
- Third Parties. HelpMD may selectively provide certain Non-Health Information to other companies or organizations that have products or services we think may interest you. If you do not want the Non-Health Information you provide to HelpMD to be shared with other companies, and you indicate this preference in the manner indicated below under "Contact Us", or when you provide the Non-Health Information to HelpMD. HelpMD may also disclose Non-Health Information to third party agents we contract with to perform various tasks on our behalf and to affiliated companies and to third parties with whom we have a business relationship. These third parties may have websites that have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked websites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our website and welcome any feedback about these websites.
- Transfer and Sale. We will not sell your personal Non-Health Information, except in conjunction with a corporate sale, merger, dissolution, or acquisition.
- Other Purposes. We may also release your Non-Health Information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our website policies, or protect ours or others' rights, property or safety. As such, HelpMD may disclose any Non-Health Information received or collected to a law enforcement agency, a government or regulatory entity, or as determined by HelpMD to protect its rights and the rights of its affiliated companies, including without limitation, participating or conducting investigations of fraud, harassment or other types of unauthorized activities.
VI. Contact Us
Attention: Security Officer
6401 Eldorado Parkway, Suite 232
McKinney, TX 75070
VII. Your Consent